Monday, October 12, 2009

Deep Time

I experience “deep time” when I’m sitting alone out on the dock at my house (on Lake Whatcom) listening to my Ipod, or just sitting there. This fits Birkerts definition because this place is a “sanctuary.” When I’m there I am basically just thinking and it’s not just being in a physical place, but its also a place I go mentally. I’ve had a deep reading experience as well. Last year in English I read “A Letter From a Birmingham Jail.” This qualifies as deep reading because we picked every little piece of that letter apart. I read it several times and took notes on each paragraph, discussed it constantly with my peers and took time to think about the letter on my own. Birkerts says that understanding the big picture is important, and you can only do so by comprehending each separate part or at least trying to comprehend them. I feel that I did this while reading that letter. I think that talking about what you read with other people can help you understand what you're reading better because you learn other perspectives, therefore I feel that this could be added on to Birkert's ideas on how to read effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment