Monday, October 12, 2009

Deep Time

I experience deep time when I am reading a paper, article, book, etc. for a school assignment. The reason I experience deep time while doing this is because I must re-read the assignment 2-3 times in order to understand the full meaning. This fits Birkerts’ definition because he says that depth is gained through intensive reading. This is what I must do in order to fully comprehend what I am reading, unless it is something fast-paced and exciting that keeps me focused. I think that Birkerts’ definition is quite accurate. His claims that depth can only be gained from intensive reading and profound understanding make sense because without intensive reading you will not have a profound understanding, and without a profound understanding, you will not gain depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment