Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Growing Up Online"

In "Growing Up Online" produced and directed by Rachel Dretzin and John Maggio, it is about how the internet is affecting teen lives and how parents feel about their kids and the internet. During the video many parents stated they have no idea what their child does online. While many students are using the internet to socialize(160 million combined are users on Myspace or Facebook), others are not: they are using the net to bully, fight and read "books" in a matter of minutes. Teens feel that the internet is their territory where they can be real and not have to be judged. Though teens feel that it is where they can be real, they do not see the dangers like stockers or cyber bullying. Ryan a thirteen year old victim of online bullying. Ryan's father stated, "[T]he computer and the internet were not the cause of my son's suicide. But they helped amplify and accelerate the hurt and pain he was trying to deal with that started in person, in the real world. "
If I were to do a story about the impact of internet on my life. I would probably talk about how the internet has given me the ability to contact family and friends that arent near so that I can stay in touch with them. I would say that the internet has affected me positively it has helped me work on school work, socialize and it is entertaining. Overall you just need to watch what you do and how it would affects your life. You just need to be aware that the internet is good but it also is bad. Something that is often forgotten that the internet is very public anyone can access it.

No comments:

Post a Comment