Sunday, October 11, 2009

Reading Response to Birkerts "The Owl Has Flown"

My central idea for my in-class essay is about texting and whether or not the spell check is going to help you out. Some people may say it will. I‘m not so sure about that and also that people should not abbreviate their words while sending messages as much. I also talked about Clive Thompson’s “New Literacy” and how he talks about young people these days writing more then any generation.
Sven Birkerts in the “The Owl Has Flown” agrees when he writes “The computer, our high-speed, accessing, storing, and sorting tool, appears as a godsend. It increasingly determines what kind of information we are willing to traffic in; if something cannot be written in code and transmitted in, it cannot be important.” (pg.33)
Basically, Birkerts is saying that people don’t believe that books are very important anymore. If it isn’t written in a text language or “code” as Birkerts says then it is not really worth reading. That that is pretty much what people read now. This is what I believe he is saying.
I believe this influences my central idea. I did not really think about people not believing it is important unless it is in a “code” as Birkerts explains. But it definitely goes along with what I was trying say in my essay. I did not really explain this in my essay but Birkerts explains it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment