Thursday, October 29, 2009

Responce to Nick Carr's article

Nicholas Carr the author of the book The Big Switch: Rewiring the World, From Edison to Google recently published an article in The Atlantic where he discussed some of his premise that the use of the Internet could be changing the way the brain operates. More specifically the way the brain operates in relation to the way we read. In this article Is Google Making Us Stupid, he discusses his personal observation on this when he states "My mind isn’t going – It’s Changing. I’m not thinking the way I used to think." Carr moves on to discuss how he notices this most strongly when he’s trying to concentrate on something he is reading. He has noticed over the years that he has lost his ability to concentrate on long articles and books, and instead finds it more comfortable to skim what he’s reading. He says that his friends and colleagues are noticing similar tendencies.
Carr attributes his changing patterns to the time he has spent using the Internet, saying that "My mind now expects to take in information the way the Net distributes it: in a swiftly moving stream of particles." Backing up this statement he sites a couple of different studies on the development of the brain. Most notably for me was what Maryanne Wolf had to say on the subject. Wolf a psychologist at Tufts University and the author of Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain says "We are not only what we read, we are how we read". She explains that the way we learn to read affects the way the neural circuits and pathways of the brain develop, and that the style of reading promoted by the Internet may be weakening our ability for deep reading.
I agree that there is cause to be concerned over this because my friend’s and family’s own experiences confirm it. Not having a lot of experience on the Net myself I asked some people close to me what they felt on this subject, and almost all of them said they are experiencing the same phenomena in differing degrees. This disturbed me because I enjoy the way I read, and how it feels to curl up on the couch with a good book and get lost in the story. The idea that this fundamental part of who I am could be lost, in any degree, is simply unacceptable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment