Monday, September 28, 2009

Reading response #1

The Youtube video, “Visions of Students Today” by Michael Wesch demonstrated how this new age of technology is influencing student’s exposure to writing. Welch claims and proves through his video that many students these days are using Facebook, e-mails, texting, etc. as the main style of writing used in their everyday lives. Michael Wesch is making the point of this new age technology taking over academic writing for students. Although Michael Wesch does not say directly through his video, I think he assumes that new age technology is ruining writing for students, even though it is not very clear through the video. My opinion is that he is looking at the facts that technology is just taking over students lives, and does in no way relate to academic writing he teaches in class. It may also be that with all this other exposure to writing with technology, he feels that students are being saved. It is a very debatable topic.

The Youtube video of “Visions of Students Today” creates assumptions that can be very debatable depending on how each person views the video. I think that what this video’s message is saying is that the new age of technology exposed to students is ruining the amount of academic writing, which happens in class. Many would think that with all this extra E-mailing and texting would benefit students, but I think it kind of ruins everything we were once taught in academic writing. I sometimes find even myself, when writing essays or reading responses such as this one using the bad habits I learned from text messaging or E-mailing. I revise my work and come over many abbreviated words as your would see in a quick written E-mail to a friend. It ruins the academic structure to a well-written paper with everything I learned from texting. Since I spend about 90% of my writing non-academically, it comes much more natural as I am writing an essay or response. In the Youtube video “Visions of Students Today”, it showed many of the students holding up different signs with information and statistics. The students in the video are making the point that even though they go to class, they seem like nothing. Class sizes are huge, barely any professors know students names, and they honestly don’t usually do all the assigned readings, which most are not even relevant to their lives. I may be contradicting my point by sort of saying these students rely on technology to save themselves from not much academic writing exposure but it’s their fault for not doing their homework. In some cases I do believe that technology can save us, but I do not believe that technology will be Facebook, texting, E-mailing, etc. Technology has changed us and how we write greatly, debatably for the better and for the worse. Academically speaking, I feel that new age technology is hurting the writing we do in class. We are getting exposed to much more writing than in the past but none of this is really going to help us when we are in school.

4 comments:

  1. Dylan believes that texting and emailing is making his grammar worse. He claims that his technology useage impacts his academic writing in a negative manner. Dylan also acknowledges that techonolgy has the potential to 'save' him as mentioned in Michael Wesch's video. I reaffirm that techonolgy has the opportunity to impacy the learning environment greatly, when used correctly. Facebook indeed will not save the masses from poor grammar and illiteracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This writer feels that writing texts and other social networking tools are infact making our society weaker writers as a whole. He states that because we are so used to writing in text terms and other short hand methods brought on by new technology it affects our acidemic writing. Because we do short hand so often we can't help but to do this even when we should not.

    I personally feel the exact opposite about the subject. personally i believe that all this social networking we do actually makes us stronger writers simply do to the amounts we write on a daily basis. I feel that due to the fact we are constantly writing this affects us in a much more possitive mannor then it does negitivly. I feel that if one concentrates and puts real effort into his work you will not see signs of short hand but instead you will see a writer that is more experienced in comunicating something to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^adding to the first post^
    I chose to respond to this post because I too am neutral on technoligies impact in the classroom. I agree however that the emails aren't beneficial to my academic future. While it is good that I am writing, it doesn't matter much in the classroom if my writing is poor quality.I understand where Dylan is coming from his perspective appeals to me, good job whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the author's summarary on "Visions of students today" he makes the notion that student's habitual use of emailing and texting are causing academic writing to decline in overall quality. The writer relates to the media and claims that he sees his texting abreviations find their way into his school writing. Often coming across many of his short hand terms he didn't notice while writing.

    For me I have never experienced this problem in my own writing. i text

    ReplyDelete