Sunday, September 27, 2009

Reading Response #1

In a recent article Clive Thompson brings a new interesting view on technology and its impact on student literacy. Because of the poor grammar of texting and quick internet messages over social sites such as Facebook, many people today think that technology is killing the literacy of today's young people, but Mr. Thompson disagrees with that view. In fact, Mr. Thompson claims that technology is actually reviving student literacy. According to a recent study by Andrea Lunsford, a professor at Stanford Univerisy, 38 percent of a student's writing takes place outside of the classroom! That is a big jump from previous generations that used to only write when they had a class assignment. Another major find from this study is that students are learning how to address their audiences, and change their writing style to fit their needs. The reason for this according to Thompson's essay is that almost all the writing that takes place on the internet or over texting is "conversational and public." Another find that the study listed was that students are not bringing their text speak over into their academcic essays. It found that students knew when something was appropriate or not. Thompson seems to infer that my generation is to be one of the most literate generations of the last few decades.
In my own view I tend to agree with Thompson. I use technology almost every day be it chatting on facebook or texting a little love note to my girlfriend. I find in my own experience that in my writing I am often writing conversationally to an audience. Often times it is just a quick email here, a comment of someone's picture there, or a cute little note to my girlfriend, but I am always directing my words to a certain audience and changing my style to fit the needs of who I am talking to. Also, I write these things everyday outside of the classroom by my own free will. I'll admit I may not check my grammar to make sure it's perfect when I write online or in the text, but I write often and I know who I am writing to. For example when I write on Facebook I will say things to certain friends that I am comfortable with that I wouldn't say to others because it may offend them. Or if I'm texting my girlfriend I'll reference little inside jokes that only we would understand. I believe Facebook is also a great way to improve conversational writing because a lot of the comments you leave are part of a conversation with many other people besides just one on one writing. The writing on your profile is also directed at the people reading it.
I had never really thought about the topic of technology and literacy before, but after reading Mr. Thompson short article on the subject I have noticed what he said in my own writing that I do. I believe that technology has improved my writing, and even if it didn't it still gives me a reason to write in a way that I enjoy and that should at least count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment